It's not a matter of if but when Melbourne superstar Billy Slater re-signs with the NRL club, according to chief executive Mark Evans.
Contract discussions with Slater, turning 32 on Thursday, are well advanced although the length of the new deal is still to be determined.
"It's fair to say it's almost inconceivable that the club and one of its greatest ever players won't come to an agreement both for next and possible subsequent years that both parties are totally comfortable with," Evans said.
Slater was believed to be on verge of signing a new three-year deal back in February.
However, with the Test and Queensland custodian requiring further surgery, a one-year deal appears more likely.
The Storm on Thursday night confirmed Slater would have surgery next week on his injured shoulder, meaning the star fullback's season was over.
He consulted Storm medical staff earlier on Thursday and it was decided surgery was the best course of action to repair a labral tear of his Glenohumeral joint.
"It's extremely unlikely that Billy Slater will not be with us going forward but how long that's for ... once you get beyond a certain point, it's very hard to plan too far ahead," Evans said.
"There are injuries and it depends on how Billy feels about it."